Thursday, July 3, 2008

Recipe Swap Fiasco

So, I never, ever, ever respond to chain emails. I don't believe that I will have bad luck if I don't forward 10 people an email that tells them they are beautiful or loved or lucky or whatever. Usually these emails are deleted even before they are read. Recently, actually yesterday, I made one exception.
My best friend, someone who has been my best friend since I was 14 sent me a recipe swap email. I love her like a sister, and thought okay, I guess just this once I will respond. All I had to do was send one recipe to one person, and then forward the email to 20 other people. Even after I had decided to participate, it took me a couple of weeks to actually follow through, but yesterday, I finally did it.
I'll be honest, I am horrible at keeping in touch with people. When I don't see someone on a regular basis, I probably won't call them just to chat or try and get together to go to lunch. That being said, I don't have a huge number of emails saved in my contact list. Twenty people was kind of a stretch for me. Luckily, I have five sisters, one sister in law, and one mother, or my twenty emails would have been really hard to come up with. I barely managed to come up with twenty, but I did, and I sent off my email. (some of you who are reading this know that I sent the email, because you were the lucky recipients:))
I felt relieved. I did it, I came through for my best friend, and now she would receive 4 million recipes within 5 days, all of which would serve to keep her family healthy and happy for years to come. Sadly, this is not where the story ends....
Less than two hours later, guess what showed up in my email inbox? Another recipe swap request! Someone who I had send the request to had already completed their email, and someone they had forwarded it to had resent it to me!!! Ahhhhh!
Now what do I do? The person on the top of the list that I am supposed to be sending a recipe to is a really good friend of mine, and she responded to the original email almost immediately. I am back to the same dilemma of wanting to come through for her, but I can't send the email to the same twenty people as before, and I'm not sure I can come up with another twenty people. That is forty people that I will have sent this email too. And, what if everyone I send it to actually participates? I will have 3 billion recipes come to my email box, which will probably clog up my email, and I will miss really important emails telling me about specials sales at Banana Republic and J Crew while I am reading how to make macaroni casserole.
I feel like I have learned a very valuable lesson through this whole thing, forwarded emails are of the devil. Don't give in to even a little bit of temptation or you will get pulled in all the way. What starts out as twenty emails will soon turn into two hundred, and you will have to fight your way out.
P.S.-If anyone would like to be involved in a recipe swap, please forward me your email address.

No comments: