Friday, November 14, 2008

Baby Neutral

I'm a single girl who may or may not have children one day. Don't get me wrong, I love my nieces and nephews-they are all super cute, but I am not one of those girls who is baby hungry. I usually don't have strong feelings one way or the other, but sometimes things change. Sometimes my nephews are so cute, I think, how could I not want one of these? Hearing those little voices begging "Aunt Cole" to have a sleepover or jump on the trampoline can make my heart melt. But, those same voices can also get really loud when fighting with each other. And sometimes their hands are really sticky. And don't get me started about changing diapers...actually I couldn't start, I have a no diaper changing policy.
Well, there is something new that is making me tilt toward the no baby side. I work with a girl who had a baby a few weeks ago, and while she was pregnant she entered a contest where she could win a nursery by having the best "baby bump". She posted her picture online, and then everyone if the office went online to vote for her. There were probably 200 entries, so we had to look at a lot of baby bellies, and some were really gross. This didn't really phase me, but that all changed today.
I had a little extra time at work today, and I was reading through some blogs (aka blog stalking), and I came across one from a girl I worked with in college. There was her naked baby filled belly, and it was gigantic. It totally freaked me out. It was like a train wreck, and I couldn't look away. The belly was huge. It was like there was a mutant in there!
I feel like I should have had a different reaction. Why don't I see that belly and think "how beautiful". Instead it makes me think "never". I think I need some serious cute niece and nephew time to push me back to the other side or at least make me baby neutral again.

3 comments:

Melissa and Zac said...

You are hilarious! I have to say I NEVER looked at my pregnant belly and said "how beautiful", but I also didn't think it was as bad as a train wreck either. I definitely didn't want to take a picture of it though!

Tod said...

To decide this, you should hook up with a guy. And while you are hooking up, set an alarm that sounds just like a baby crying. Then you will know what it will be like and decide on the matter.

mattie said...

haha nicole, just wait until AFTER you have the baby. you're body is totally not "beautiful." well, unless you're like angelina jolie or something.