Sunday, January 4, 2009

Just because you can doesn't mean you should

I went to church today, and I was surrounded by mountain men. I'm not kidding, half the guys in my ward have these hideous bushy beards covering their faces. We live in a day and age where we have heaters in our homes and cars. We buy our food at the grocery store and don't have to hunt out in the cold weather to put food on the table. There is no practical reason for the mountain man beard to be so widespread! I look at all these hairy faces around me, and it makes me wonder "what are they thinking?!! Do they not realize they look ridiculous?"
Now, you may want to call me shallow for judging all these boys based on their facial hair choices, but really I'm not. One of my best friends has a mountain man beard. I really like him. We hang out a lot and have a lot in common. I have another friend who always asks me if there is anything else going on between me and first mentioned friend, and my answer is always "no...he has a mountain man beard." I have no problem being friends with a mountain man, but I don't think I could ever see a mountain man and think "wouldn't it be great to kiss that rugged mountain man."
Again, you may think I am shallow, but really I think I am justified. I think these mountain men should realize that just because they are capable of growing a big bushy beard, doesn't mean they should. Just because I am capable of rolling out of bed and heading to work five minutes later, doesn't mean I shouldn't shower, brush my teeth, blow dry my hair, put on makeup, etc. before I leave the house. I think everyone should realize the world would be better off if the mountain men stayed in the 1800's and stop trying to make a comeback in 2009.

No comments: